A bit of legal English

Translating the German word “Rechtsanwalt” can be a bit tricky. According to the Macmillan Dictionary, “lawyer” is the word used for a trained legal adviser (in the UK and in the US). I find their explanation quite helpful:

“In the UK, a lawyer who usually works in an office but may also work in some courts of law is called a solicitor.

Lawyers who do most of their work representing people in court trials are called barristers in England and Wales, and advocates in Scotland.

In both the UK and the US, counsel is the formal legal word for a lawyer who is representing people in court, and in a US court you might call them counselor.

A lawyer in the US is also sometimes referred to as an attorney, especially in formal speech or official letters.”