You’re having a conversation with someone, but would like to get away gracefully. What can you say?
On the phone I might say something like:
- “I should let you go.”
- “I hate to interrupt, but I simply must take a bio-break.”
- “Let’s discuss this another time. I’m too busy at the moment to give it my full attention.”
At a conference I might say:
- “Excuse me. I have to rescue Olivia from a conversation. She just gave me the signal.”
- “I hate to interrupt you, but I simply must take a bio-break.”
- “I have to take an important call!… (explaining) My phone is on vibrate.”
- “Sorry, what time is it?”
You’ll find other ideas and explanations in Geoffrey James’s article here.