Inverted commas-001

I always forget the German word ‘Anführungszeichen’ when I need it. So I use either ‘Gänsefüßchen’ or ‘Tüddelchen’ (I lived in north Germany years ago!).

But what on earth do you say in English when you want to talk about those punctuation marks? Well, we call them quotation marks‘ or ‘inverted commas‘. Their form and position are a little bit different as you can see in the picture above. Both are positioned at the higher level. The first set looks like a 66 and the second set like a 99. 

Just thought you might like to know! 😉