Drop the ‘s’


Here’s another word that does not have a plural in English. ‘Furniture’ means ‘Möbel’. If you want to say ‘Möbelstück’ (a single item of furniture), then you have to call it ‘a piece of furniture’.


He bought some new furniture yesterday.
She only had enough money for one piece of furniture and so she bought a bed.
We need a few bits of furniture for our new apartment.

You May Also Like…

A day off?

A day off?

An employee comes into her manager’s office to take a day off from work. The manager replies, "So you want a day off....

Why learn English?

Why learn English?

I presume that you're reading my tips, tricks and resources because you want to improve your English skills. However,...

Words of wisdom

Words of wisdom

"There are four different kinds of bones in an organisation: wish-bones, who wish someone else would do it; jaw-bones,...


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Written by Christine Burgmer

17. April 2014