The popular sport of kicking a round ball into a large net (called the ‘goal’) is called ‘football’ in Britain and ‘soccer’ in America. What the Americans call ‘football’ is played with an oval-shaped ball. British speakers call this ‘American football‘ (link to: which should not be confused with ‘rugby’.

If you’re interested, you’ll find a nice chart comparing American football and rugby here (link to: