A Filler Word

We often use so-called ‘filler words’—both in English and in German. They are short, meaningless words or sounds we use to give us more time to think about what we want to say next.

What English word could you use here?

Übrigens… I found the book you were looking for last night!

Two words are possible: ‘by the way’ and ‘incidentally’.

Did you get it right?



  1. It‘s – by the way -!
    I think I m right.

  2. Actually, both are correct, Gabi. I’d say that ‘incidentally’ is perhaps more formal.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foto Christine Sparks

What should I write about next? Any suggestions?

14 + 15 =